WASHINGTON– This week, several provisions championed by U.S. Congressman Josh Gottheimer (NJ-5) passed the House of Representatives – for investment in education, vocational and technical job training, child care and development grants, early childhood education, Pell Grants for college students with financial need, missile defense support for our vital ally – Israel, medical research, democracy assistance abroad, the Peace Corps, and clean and affordable renewable energy.
These provisions were included within an appropriations minibus bill – H.R. 2740 – the Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, Defense, State, Foreign Operations, and Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2020.
“Our hardworking families across North Jersey understand the need for investment in job creation, improving access to health care, providing quality education and job training programs, defending ourselves and our allies, promoting democracy, and providing for clean, affordable energy,” said Congressman Josh Gottheimer (NJ-5).“For too long, our region has received back pennies on the dollar that we send to Washington. That’s why I am laser focused on clawing our federal tax dollars back to our district and for programs that benefit North Jersey residents.”
Gottheimer continued, “These provisions are a testament to everything I’m fighting for to provide the people of North Jersey with a better return on their investment.”
Gottheimer, who played a key role in securing these investments, highlighted his fight for a number of priorities included in H.R. 2740, to benefit communities throughout North Jersey:
- Increased investment in Job Corps, helping at-risk youth develop the skills they need to succeed in the 21stcentury economy.
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES:
- Increased investment for the Child Care and Development Block Grant, to support child care for low-income families as they work or attend job training and educational programs.
- Increased investment for Head Start, supporting early childhood education, health, nutrition, and parent involvement to low-income children and their families.
- Increased investment for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to support critically needed medical research.
- Increased investment for Perkins CTE (Career Technical Education), which specifically supports both Bergen County and Sussex County Community Colleges, among others.
- Increase in the maximum Pell Grant award, to support college students with demonstrated financial need.
- Increased investment for missile defense systems to protect our vital ally and the leading democracy in the Middle East – Israel – with support for the Iron Dome, David’s Sling, and Arrow.
STATE & FOREIGN OPERATIONS:
- Fully funds our commitment to our shared agreement with vital ally, Israel, for joint security efforts.
- Increased investment in energy efficiency and renewable energy, providing for clean, affordable, and secure energy and ensuring American leadership in the transition to a global clean energy economy.