For General Seniors Assistance
If you are a senior in need of assistance, my office would be honored to serve you. Please call us at (201) 389-1100 or click HERE to submit an inquiry.

For Help with a Federal Agency
If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. Click HERE to submit a request for help with a federal agency.

Request for Presidential Greetings
If you're a U.S. citizen and a resident of my District and would like to receive a greeting from the President of the United States, click HERE. Events eligible for Presidential greetings are below:
  • Birthday Greetings for persons 80 years of age or over, or 70 or over for veterans
  • Anniversary Greetings for couples celebrating 50 years of marriage or more
  • Retirement for 20 years of service or longer
  • Wedding Greetings available after the event
  • Baby's Birth available within a year of birth. Please make your request after the baby is born.
  • Girl Scout Gold Award
  • Eagle Scout
  • School Graduation
  • Class Reunion
  • Religious Anniversary

Social Security Disability Claims FAQs
The Social Security Administration handles several important federal programs. Many contact me each month with questions about their retirement, Medicare, and their applications for disability benefits. For help, please call my office at (201) 389-1100 or click HERE to submit a question. Here are a few of the most common questions my office receives that deal with this agency:

How long does it take to process Social Security Disability claims?
An application for Social Security Disability can take from 6 weeks to several years to handle, depending on a variety of factors. For more information, visit the Social Security Disability Benefits page.

Visit the Social Security Regional Site to find your local Social Security office.

The times below are merely estimates, but represent what people in the District have experienced over the past few years:

Initial Processing - 6 to 8 weeks
- Some cases are approved in this first step. If your case is denied at this level, you are encouraged to apply for reconsideration.

Reconsideration - 6 to 8 weeks
- Like the initial processing, this is all done through paperwork. If your case is denied here, you are encouraged to request a hearing in front of an Administration Law Judge.

Hearings and Appeals - 9 to 12 months
- An Administrative Law Judge will hear your claim at this level. It usually takes 9 to 12 months to get a hearing. It can take a few months longer to get a decision. You may want to get an attorney or other qualified individual to help represent you in your hearing. If you are denied at this level, you can appeal your case to the Appeals Council.

Appeals Council - 24 to 36 months
- If your claim is not approved by the Appeals Council, your only option is to file a lawsuit if you want to continue your claim.

What can the Congressman do to help with my Disability claim?

I am always happy to help constituents who need assistance with a disability claim. For help, please call my office at (201) 389-1100 or click HERE to submit a question. However, there are limits to what I can do. At my request, Social Security officials will "flag" a particular case and keep me updated throughout the process. This communication can really help a person understand what is happening with their case, so they can make other decisions regarding their life and family.

However, I cannot act as the "representative" on a person's disability paperwork. You may want an attorney to help you with this. My actions will not affect the work done by the person you select as your representative. I also do not have the authority to overturn any decision made by the Social Security Administration.

After you file the paperwork for disability benefits with your local Social Security office, I would be pleased to follow the progress of your claim. If you would like my help, contact one of my District offices.

How can I get information about my Social Security retirement benefits?

Your local Social Security office can help you with this issue. Visit the Social Security Regional Site to find your local Social Security office.

Social Security Website

Medicare Website

If you would like my help with a Social Security issue, please print out my Authorization Form and fax or mail it to my office. For help, please call my office at (201) 389-1100.